Paal Payasam ~ Milk Pudding | For Blog Hop Wednesdays

Paal Payasam


Paal Payasam ~ The very word brings me so many lovely memories of childhood. A signature dish of my Grandma. A dessert compulsorily made when she invites a newly weds for “Virundhu”. She makes this payasam only with freshly milked Buffalo’s milk as it is so rich, thick and creamy than when compared to cow’s milk. I have made it so many times but it never ever comes anywhere near to her taste. Hands down, My Grandma’s is the best. I guess it must the “Kai Pakkuvam”. While going through Roshni’s space, my partner for Blog Hop Wednesdays, looking at this recipe made me so nostalgic that I decided to go ahead with it in spite of choosing to cook this one.

 


Also I have my in-laws at home and my MIL has a sweet tooth. She cannot eat anything crunchy because of her dental related problems. So I had been making so many sweets, especially kheers in the past week. I made this as a neiveidhyam for “Thai Poosam” and trust me it tasted so divine and delicious. Usually in my home while making this payasam we do not add any ghee roasted cashews and raisins as we want the flavor of the milk to dominate but do add them if you choose to.

 

Do excuse me if you see me missing in your blogs as I’m having a difficult time with my repaired modem, it just refuses to connect to the WWW and the link keeps getting every 3 mins that I find it so frustrating. The service person has asked me to replace with a new one and on top of that they are out of stock  and it is going to take at least another 3-4 days to get a new one. Luckily, I had the sense to schedule the links post days before. Now enjoy the kheer....

 


Paal Payasam ~ Milk Pudding

You’ll need:

 


Method:

Wash and soak rice for 1/2 hour. Take less than 1/4 cup of milk and soak the saffron strands. Bring the remaining milk to a boil in a thick bottomed pan.

 

In a kadai heat ghee. Drain the rice and add the rice and sauté over low flame till a nice aroma arises. Add the sautéed rice to the boiling milk and continue to cook over low flame for 30-40 mins or till you see the milk getting reduced and starting to thicken.

 

Keep scrubbing away the cream around the vessel with a spatula as it will enable the milk to thicken quicker and also it will enhance the taste. The rice would be fully cooked by now and you should be able to mash it when pressed between your fingers. Now add the sugar, saffron milk, condensed milk, if using and cardamom and let it cook further for another 10-12 mins. It should be of pouring consistency. Serve either hot or cold.

 

Both this kheer and the Masala Vadai together makes a great pair and I’m sure you will love it too once you give it a try.

 


Notes:

 


This kheer is off to my event Let’s Cook ~ Sweet Somethings, Gayathri’s Walk down memory lane, Sumee’s Bon Vivant, Vardhini’s Sweet Luv and to Sravani’s CC: Dish for Loved Ones and to Blog Hop Wednesdays ~ Week 14

 

Technorati Tags:

Labels: , , ,