Potato Roast / Urulai Roast

Potato Roast


I’m very nervous and you know why, I got brain washed by my MIL to participate in a cookery competition that is going to be held today and I already regret having given in to her coercive words. I had always been a happy spectator when it comes to cookery competitions and this is the first time I’m taking the plunge. On top of that my kids are going to sit for their Hindi exams tomorrow. So got a busy and packed weekend and we need your wishes to succeed. Coming to today’s recipe, I’m sure you must have read my review of the book “Southern Flavors” by Chandra Padmanabhan.

 


This recipe is adapted from that book. The recipe originally uses Cheppakizhangu called as Colocasia in English. We at home are not very enthusiastic of using that particular root vegetable. So replaced it with Potatoes and the result was superb. Usually I make another version of the roast by the name Potato Oil Roast, which is also equally good and goes well with Sambar Rice. Now off to the recipe...

 

 

Potato Roast

You’ll need:

For the Spice Powder:

 


Method:

For the Spice Powder: Heat oil in a pan. Add the remaining ingredients and keep tossing gently so that the dal become golden brown and roast till a nice aroma arises. Cool and grind to a coarse powder. Keep aside.

 

Wash Potatoes and Pressure cook till soft. Cool, peel the skin, cube them and keep aside. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, once they splutter add the cumin seeds, urad dal, channa dal, asafetida, curry leaves and roast till the aroma arises.

 

Add the cubed potatoes, turmeric powder, salt and toss gently so that the potato cubes get coated with oil. Continue to cook over low flame for 10-15 min. Sprinkle the ground spice powder and toss gently again. Mix well taking care not to break the potato cubes. Cook over low flame for another 5-7 mins.

 

Serve hot with Sambar Rice or any variety rice.

 


Notes:
Technorati Tags: ,,

Labels: , ,