Coconut Rolls (No Eggs, No Butter)

Coconut Rolls
Hello friends, Yet another Wednesday made fun because of Blog Hop Wednesdays well at least that his how I feel. For this month I’m paired with Divya and when I was mulling over what to choose, TH made it easy for me. You see, he is not a person who loves to eat anything sweet and loves hot and spicy food. No wonder he still remembers the Pizza and these buns. But last week when I gave him these scones, he demanded why I’ve never tried anything with coconuts and that is when the decision was made. I don’t blame him as he is not fond of fruit based bakes.


I tweaked a little and left out the chocolate in this recipe as we both are not that crazy about chocolate. As the Kids are not home I wanted to make just 4 rolls and this was the perfect time to experiment with Palm oil in a yeast based bake instead of butter. I have already tried using Palm oil in these scones and Carrot cake and had success with it. Guess what I could not believe the texture was so good despite not using any butter.

We consumed the rolls on the same day so I used fresh coconut but if you are making in larger quantity which you can do by easily doubling the ingredients, I would suggest using desiccated coconut as it will keep longer. Now off to the recipe....


Sweetened Coconut Rolls

You’ll need:

For the Stuffing:


Method:
For the Stuffing:
Grind together coconut, sugar and cardamom without using any water. It will be thick and lumpy. Transfer to a bowl, crumble with your finger tips and keep aside.


For the Buns:

In a mixing bowl, place all purpose flour, salt, sugar. instant dry yeast, Palm oil and mix with your finger tips till it resembles bread crumbs.

Pour lukewarm milk over the flour and bring everything together with your hands. Do not knead very hard.

Transfer to a container greased with Palm oil and close with a damp towel or plastic sheet. Let it rest for 1-2 hours till the dough doubles in volume. In such a hot temperature it took just 1 hour.

Punch the dough and release the air. Press with your knuckles for 2-3 times. Divide the dough equally into 4 balls. Flatten them on your palm with your finger tips.

Place the coconut stuffing in the middle and bring the edges from around to the top and seal by pressing lightly. Make a soft ball again and place on a greased tray with the pinched side down.


Let it rest for another 20 mins. It will rise once again but only a little.

For Brushing the top:
Mix together 2 tsp of milk and 1 tsp of Palm oil together and brush all over the surface and sprinkle little coconut stuffing on top.

Preheat the oven @ 200 Degrees C and shove the tray into the hot oven. Bake for 15-20 mins or till the top is nicely browned.


Here is how the rolls looked fresh out of the oven and my home was smelling so divine of coconut and let’s me not forget to mention that it tasted absolutely divine as well.

Notes:







Blog Hop
This is off to Blog Hop Wednesdays and I’m sure you will like to check what the Blog Hoppers have rustled up for this Wednesday.

This is also off to I Love Baking #4.

Labels: , , , , ,